Our information on tint laws for various states is based on sources linked below. All of the links point to official sources to relevant laws, or in some cases government, DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) or DoT (Department of Transportation) websites.
This way you can verify all window tint information our law consultants and partnered traffic law experts provide.
Alabama Window Tint Laws
- Alabama Code Title 32, Chapter 5C: Window tinting and medical exceptions
- Alabama Law Enforcement Agency – Tinting Regulations
Alaska Window Tint Laws
Arizona Window Tint Laws
Arkansas Window Tint Laws
- Arkansas Section 27-37-306: Light transmission levels for the tinting of motor vehicle windows. (Click on “Title 27” and navigate to section 27-37-306)
California Window Tint Laws
Colorado Window Tint Laws
- Colorado Revised Statutes section 42-4-227: Windows unobstructed; certain materials prohibited (Section 42-4-227)
Connecticut Window Tint Laws
- General Statutes of Connecticut, Title 13b, Chapter 246, Section 14-99g
- Quick Reference on Tinted Windows (Connecticut DMV)
Delaware Window Tint Laws
- Delaware Code Title 21, section 4313: Safety glass; . . .window tinting; and section 4313A: Commercial window tinting. (open link and scroll down to relevant sections)
Florida Window Tint Laws
- Florida Statutes sections 316.2951 through 316.2956: Windshields and windows. (scroll to sections 316.2951 to 316.2956)
Georgia Window Tint Laws
- Georgia Code section 40-8-73.1: Affixing of materials which reduce light transmission or increase light reflectance through windows. (open link and expand “Title 40” click through navigation to section 40-8-73.1)
Hawaii Window Tint Laws
- Hawaii Revised Statutes section 291-21.5: Regulation of motor vehicle sun-screening devices; penalty.
Idaho Window Tint Laws
- Idaho Statutes section 49-944. Standards for windshields and windows of motor vehicles — prohibited acts — penalty.
Illinois Window Tint Laws
Indiana Window Tint Laws
Iowa Window Tint Laws
Kansas Window Tint Laws
- Kansas Statutes sections 8-1749a through 8-1749c: One-way glass and sun-screening devices. (in “Table of Contents” select “Chapter 8: Automobiles and Other Vehicles,” then “Article 17: Uniform Act Regulating Traffic: Equipment of Vehicles”)
Kentucky Window Tint Laws
Louisiana Window Tint Laws
- Louisiana State Legislature – §361.1 – View outward or inward through windshield or windows (RS 32:361.1)
Maine Window Tint Laws
Maryland Window Tint Laws
Massachusetts Window Tint Laws
- Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 90, Section 9D: Windshields and windows obscured by non-transparent materials.
Michigan Window Tint Laws
Minnesota Window Tint Laws
Mississippi Window Tint Laws
Missouri Window Tint Laws
- Missouri State Highway Patrol: Window Tinting – What’s Legal [PDF file]
- Missouri Vehicle Statutes Chapter 307 Section 173: Sun-screening
Montana Window Tint Laws
Nebraska Window Tint Laws
Nevada Window Tint Laws
- Nevada Revised Statutes section 484.6195: Restrictions on tinting of windshield or side or rear window.
New Hampshire Window Tint Laws
New Jersey Window Tint Laws
- New Jersey Laws – Title 13, Chapter 20, Subchapter 1 – Types of sunscreening materials and products (pdf file)
New Mexico Window Tint Laws
New York Window Tint Laws
- New York Consolidated Laws: Vehicle & Traffic (VAT), Article 9, Section 375.12-a: Safety glass and light transmittance; medical exemptions.
North Carolina Window Tint Laws
North Dakota Window Tint Laws
Ohio Window Tint Laws
Oklahoma Window Tint Laws
- Oklahoma Statutes section 47-12-422: Restrictions on use of glass coating materials or sunscreening devices on windshields and windows. (open “Title 47. Motor Vehicles” and scroll to relevant section)
Oregon Window Tint Laws
- Oregon Vehicle Code section 815.221: Tinting; authorized and prohibited materials; certificate. [PDF file; scroll to section 815.221]
Pennsylvania Window Tint Laws
Rhode Island Window Tint Laws
South Carolina Window Tint Laws
- South Carolina Code of Laws section 56-5-5015: Sunscreen devices. (scroll to section 56-5-5015)
South Dakota Window Tint Laws
Tennessee Window Tint Laws
- Tennessee Code section 55-9-107: Motor vehicle windows with tinting, reflecting, or sun screen material.
Texas Window Tint Laws
- Window Tinting Standards (Texas Department of Public Safety)
- Texas Administrative Code, Title 37, Part 1, Chapter 21, Rule §21.3: Standards for Sunscreening and Privacy Window Devices
Utah Window Tint Laws
- Utah Code: Title 41 (Motor Vehicles), Chapter 6a (Traffic Code), Part 16 (Vehicle Equipment), Section 1635 – Windshields and windows
Vermont Window Tint Laws
Virginia Window Tint Laws
- Code of Virginia section 46.2-1053: Equipping certain motor vehicles with sun-shading or tinting films or applications.
Washington Window Tint Laws
West Virginia Window Tint Laws
- West Virginia Code, Article 17C, Chapter 15, Section 17C-15-36a: Sun-screening devices; penalty (scroll down to Section 17C-15-36a: Sun-screening devices; penalty.)
Wisconsin Window Tint Laws
- Wisconsin Statutes section 347.43: Safety glass. [PDF file; scroll to section 347.43]
Wyoming Window Tint Laws
- Wyoming Statutes Section 31-5-962: Sunscreening devices. (Open link and scroll down to section 31-5-962)
Always up to date laws
This list is being kept up to date, however some links may be temporarily or permanently unavailable. We do our very best to keep up with latest information, laws and legislation, but if you find an error you are welcome to contact us.
Where to learn more?
To learn more about window tint laws in United States, see our main tint laws page, then select your state of residence.
Please understand we are unable to provide legal advice or information beyond what is already mentioned in our individual state pages. In case you received a traffic ticket and need professional attorney advice you can ask your questions here.