Our information on tint laws for various states is based on sources linked below. All of the links point to official sources with relevant laws. All information provided can be verified on linked websites.
Where possible we also include links to state government or legislative bodies, DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) or DoT (Department of Transportation) websites which confirm or provide more details on tint laws.
This way you can verify all window tint information our law consultants and partnered traffic law experts provide.
Alabama Window Tint Laws
- Alabama Code Title 32, Chapter 5C: Window tinting and medical exceptions
- Alabama Law Enforcement Agency – Tinting Regulations
- Alabama laws: Section 32-5C-4 – Medical exemptions
- Alabama Tinting Regulations – medical exemption contacts (scroll to bottom)
Alaska Window Tint Laws
- Alaska Statutes Title 1 Chapter 04 Sec. 223 – Tinted vehicle windows
- Anchorage Police – FAQ – Equipment – How dark can I tint my windows?
Arizona Window Tint Laws
- Arizona Revised Statutes section 28-959.01: materials on windows or windshield.
- Arizona Department of Transportation – Window Tinting Exemption
- Arizona Department of Transportation – Window tint medical exemption form #40-1511 (PDF file)
- Arizona Department of Transportation – Medical Review FAQ
Arkansas Window Tint Laws
- Arkansas Section 27-37-306: Light transmission levels for the tinting of motor vehicle windows. (Click on “Title 27” and navigate to section 27-37-306)
California Window Tint Laws
Colorado Window Tint Laws
- Colorado Revised Statutes section 42-4-227: Windows unobstructed; certain materials prohibited (Section 42-4-227)
Connecticut Window Tint Laws
- General Statutes of Connecticut, Title 13b, Chapter 246, Section 14-99g
- Connecticut DMV – Vehicle Inspection – Additional information & fees – Tinted window requirements
- Connecticut Application & Special Permit for Exemption from Tinted Window Requirements
Delaware Window Tint Laws
- Delaware Code Title 21, section 4313: Safety glass; …window tinting; and section 4313A: Commercial window tinting. (open link and scroll down to relevant sections)
- Delaware DMV – Vehicle Equipment
Florida Window Tint Laws
- Florida Statutes sections 316.2951 through 316.2956: Windshields and windows. (scroll to sections 316.2951 to 316.2956)
- Florida Medical Exemption Application Form [PDF file]
Georgia Window Tint Laws
- Georgia Code § 40-8-73.1. Tinting of Windows or Windshields
- State of Georgia – Ammended Window Tint Laws
- Window tint medical exemption form [.pdf file]
Hawaii Window Tint Laws
- Hawaii Revised Statutes section 291-21.5: Regulation of motor vehicle sun-screening devices; penalty.
Idaho Window Tint Laws
- Idaho Statutes section 49-944. Standards for windshields and windows of motor vehicles — prohibited acts — penalty.
Illinois Window Tint Laws
Indiana Window Tint Laws
Iowa Window Tint Laws
Kansas Window Tint Laws
- Kansas Statutes sections 8-1749a through 8-1749c: One-way glass and sun-screening devices. (see in: 8-1749a – One-way glass and sun screening devices; requirements; exceptions; penalties.)
- Kansas Highway Patrol FAQ – MCSAP: What Equipment Do I Need To Carry On Or In My Commercial Vehicle (see Laws concerning window tint on commercial vehicles)
Kentucky Window Tint Laws
Louisiana Window Tint Laws
- Louisiana State Legislature – §361.1 – View outward or inward through windshield or windows (RS 32:361.1)
- Louisiana Laws – RS 32:361.2 – Medical exemption
- Louisiana Window Tint Medical Exemption Affidavit (PDF file)
Maine Window Tint Laws
Maryland Window Tint Laws
- Maryland Code section 22-406: Safety glazing material in motor vehicles.
- Maryland State Police – Vehicle Equipment FAQs
Massachusetts Window Tint Laws
- Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 90, Section 9D: Windshields and windows obscured by non-transparent materials.
- Massachusetts Government – Applying for medical waivers for tinted glass
Michigan Window Tint Laws
- Michigan Vehicle Code section 257.709: Windshields and windows; prohibitions.
- Michigan State Police Traffic Law FAQs – Tinted windows (tinting and medical exemptions)
Minnesota Window Tint Laws
Mississippi Window Tint Laws
Missouri Window Tint Laws
- Missouri State Highway Patrol: Window Tinting – What’s Legal [PDF file]
- Missouri Vehicle Statutes Chapter 307 Section 173: Sun-screening
Montana Window Tint Laws
Nebraska Window Tint Laws
Nevada Window Tint Laws
- Nevada Revised Statutes section 484.6195: Restrictions on tinting of windshield or side or rear window.
- Nevada Department of Public Safety – Application for Window Tint Exemption [PDF file]
New Hampshire Window Tint Laws
- New Hampshire Statutes section 266:58-a: Tinted glass.
- New Hampshire DMV: Tinted windows & medical waiver application process
- New Hampshire DMV: Application for tinted window medical waiver [PDF file]
New Jersey Window Tint Laws
- New Jersey Revised Statutes, Title 39 – Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation, Section 39:3-74 – Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with cleaners
- New Jersey Laws – Title 13, Chapter 20, Subchapter 1 – Types of sunscreening materials and products [PDF file]
- New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission – Window sun-screening for medical reasons
- New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission – Medical exemption application form [PDF file]
New Mexico Window Tint Laws
New York Window Tint Laws
- New York Consolidated Laws: Vehicle & Traffic (VAT), Article 9, Section 375.12-a: Safety glass and light transmittance; medical exemptions.
- New York DMV – Tinted windows
- New York DMV – Application for tinted window exemption [Form MV-80W – PFD file]
North Carolina Window Tint Laws
- North Carolina DMV – Window Tinting
- North Carolina Statutes § 20-127. Windows and windshield wipers [PDF file]
- North Carolina Department of Transportation: Tinted window waiver application form [PDF file]
North Dakota Window Tint Laws
- North Dakota Highway Patrol – Allowed percentage of tint on vehicle windows
- North Dakota Laws 39-21-39. Windshield [PDF file]
- North Dakota Department of Transportation: FAQ & General Information [PDF file]
Ohio Window Tint Laws
Oklahoma Window Tint Laws
- Oklahoma Statutes section 47-12-422: Restrictions on use of glass coating materials or sunscreening devices on windshields and windows. (open “Title 47. Motor Vehicles” and scroll to relevant section)
Oregon Window Tint Laws
- Oregon Vehicle Code section 815.221: Tinting; authorized and prohibited materials; certificate. [PDF file; scroll to section 815.221]
- Oregon Department of Transportation: Frequently asked questions about window tinting [PDF file]
- Oregon Department of Transportation: Vehicle Equipment Standards [see under FAQ – Windows]
Pennsylvania Window Tint Laws
- Pennsylvania Code Title 75 – VEHICLES, § 4524
- Pennsylvania Department of Transportation: Vehicle Window Tint Fact Sheet [PDF file]
- Pennsylvania Code Chapter 175 Title 67: § 175.67. Glazing.
Rhode Island Window Tint Laws
South Carolina Window Tint Laws
- South Carolina Code of Laws section 56-5-5015: Sunscreen devices. (scroll to section 56-5-5015)
South Dakota Window Tint Laws
Tennessee Window Tint Laws
- Tennessee Code section 55-9-107: Motor vehicle windows with tinting, reflecting, or sun screen material.
Texas Window Tint Laws
- Window Tinting Standards (Texas Department of Public Safety)
- Texas Administrative Code, Title 37, Part 1, Chapter 21, Rule §21.3: Standards for Sunscreening and Privacy Window Devices
Utah Window Tint Laws
- Utah Code: Title 41 (Motor Vehicles), Chapter 6a (Traffic Code), Part 16 (Vehicle Equipment), Section 1635 – Windshields and windows
- Utah Highway Patrol FAQ: Can I have tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
- S.B. 149 Tinted Vehicle Windows Amendments (window tint amended law in 2022)
Vermont Window Tint Laws
- Vermont Statutes Title 23, section 1125: Obstructing windshields.
- Vermont DMV – Application for window tint medical exemption permit [PDF file]
Virginia Window Tint Laws
- Code of Virginia section 46.2-1053: Equipping certain motor vehicles with sun-shading or tinting films or applications.
- Code of Virginia § 46.2-1052. Tinting films, signs, decals, and stickers on windshields, etc.; penalties.
- Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles – Vehicle Sun-Shading and Medical Waivers
- Virginia DMV – Sun-Shading Medical Authorization Application [PDF file]
Washington Window Tint Laws
West Virginia Window Tint Laws
- West Virginia Code, Article 17C, Chapter 15, Section 17C-15-36a: Sun-screening devices; penalty (scroll down to Section 17C-15-36a: Sun-screening devices; penalty.)
Wisconsin Window Tint Laws
- Wisconsin Statutes section 347.43: Safety glass. [PDF file; scroll to section 347.43]
- Wisconsin State Legislature – 305.32: Vent, side and rear windows
Wyoming Window Tint Laws
- Wyoming Statutes Section 31-5-962: Sunscreening devices. (Open link and scroll down to section 31-5-962)
Always up to date laws
This list is being kept up to date, however some links may be temporarily unavailable. We do our very best to keep up with latest information, laws and legislation, but if you find an error you should contact us.
Where to learn more?
To learn more about window tint laws in United States, see our main tint laws page, then select your state of residence.
Please understand we are unable to provide legal advice or information beyond what is already mentioned in our individual state pages. In case you received a traffic ticket and need professional attorney advice you can ask your questions here.